About Us

Ray Albright Steel

History

Ray Albright

Ray Albright

Ray B. Albright was born on July 25, 1933 in Sulphur, Oklahoma. He worked on his father’s farm milking cows, baling alfalfa, and raising turkeys. He graduated from Sulphur High and attended the University of Oklahoma where he was accepted into the Naval ROTC program. In 1955 Ray received his BS Business degree and became a commission naval officer and reported to active duty one month after graduation. He served on board the naval destroyer USS Blue DD-744 and was honorably discharged in April 22, 1965.

Ray entered the steel distribution business after his naval service and in 1973 had the opportunity to start his own steel business. He filed corporation papers with the Secretary of State and chartered the Ray Albright Steel Products, Inc on December 18, 1973 and opened for business with his wife, Wanda, on January 2, 1974.

After a few months, B.F. VanDeventer, Jr. became an employee and stockholder and a few months later Harris A. Wade (Allen) became an employee and stockholder. The following year John Hunt became an employee and stockholder. Gary Kornmaier became an employee in 1975 and is now the Assistant Manager. Rob Lyle started with the company in 1978 and is now the Manager. Larry Blue has been with the company since 1981 working in the office as well as outside sales. Timothy McFarland started in 1989 and is the warehouse manager and his warehouse employees have been with the company over six years. The other outside sales people other than John Hunt are Gina Harmon, starting in 2005 and “Bill” Guillermo Cardenas, since 2009.